Creative Inspiration: Big Movies on Regular TV

I know one day in the future folks will be very nostalgic for Tuesday DVD releases, but in my youth, just having a now antique VCR let alone owning a store bought film on VHS was luxury. During those years, it was a big deal when big movies aired on any of the regular big three networks even though they where a few years old by the time they did.

The ABC Sunday Night Movie was a "second coming" for beloved movies in those days. They where heavily promoted, starting from a few weeks before right up until the very last minute before air. There was a unique feeling of excitement caused by these network premiers that recent generations will never experience due to DVDs, BLU-RAYs, web downloads and the 1001 cable channels to choose from.

Below are some opening title clips from the Sunday Night Movie that feature a few of my favorite movies. The creative inspiration from these is very personal. They remind me of evenings when I'd sit in my room after the movie ended at 11pm, drawing or making stuff, pumped up and wide awake due to the "event" feel of it all until the wee hours of the morning.




4 comments:

  1. I remember those days! Sometimes it was the only way I'd get to see a movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! The world of today definitely is missing some of the innocence associated with Hollywood coming to your own home. Oh sure, we can get any movie we want at any time we want now, but some of the fun was the anticipation and the "event" feeling that came with staying up and watching a movie.
    I'm with ya on this one Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that takes me back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss that! I still have my taped copy of Star Wars when it first aired on network, can't remember which network, but the Charlie Brown Valentine's special aired right before. I can tell my mom tried to edit the commercials, but you catch little bits of them here and there, and I can't watch them on DVD without hearing the beginning of a Mylanta commercial at certain spots! I also miss the Fox Saturday/Sunday afternoon Matinee Theater, I mean, how many times have you watched Overboard or Romancing the Stone without commercials?

    ReplyDelete